Friday 3 December 2010

Ikeda

I have been eager to head out of town recently to see the wonderful colours of a Japanese autumn and so decided to head North to Ikeda and Satsukiyama Park. One other attraction in Ikeda is Satsukiama Zoo which is where we headed to first. The zoo is known for its family of wombats and approaching the place from the station you're not given a chance to forget about it as everywhere you look are caricatures and statues of the creatures, they have even adopted it as the town's mascot!

Wombats, wombats everywhere!

The zoo includes other animals such as wallabies, llamas and a few rather sorry looking monkeys but the wombats were by far the cutest. Unfortunately I didn't get close enough to the wombats to get any good photos so you will have to make do with one of the wallabies instead. Sorry!

Wallabies, not wombats.

After seeing the zoo we crossed the road to Satsukiyama Park. What I hadn't anticipated was that the park is actually part of Satsuki Mountain and involved climbing many steps to the summit, I was just glad it wasn't in the middle of summer!. The colour of the leaves was amazing and well worth the trip to see, covering an impressive range of Autumnal hues from deep reds through to light green, even on a single tree the colours varied considerably.


Autumnal Hues

 After an exhausting climb to the summit of Satsuki mountain we only had a moment to catch our breath before it was snatched way again by the stunning views, stretching away into the distance to the mountains on the horizon, made all the more impressive by the wonderful colours.

They look just like ant houses, if ants built houses.
Now, the long climb down.

One other thing that Ikeda is famous for is for being the birthplace of instant noodles and the Cup Noodle, the spiritual grandfather of the humble Pot Noodle. In recognition of this, a museum dedicated to the history of noodles in a cup was built in the town and of course we just had to pay our respects!

Instant noodles were first invented by Momofuku Ando in 1958 who's statue greets visitors to the museum. Ando then went on to invent the Cup noodle in 1971. The museum is a lot of fun and very well set out including an area where you can design and make your own variety of Cup Noodle! Unfortunately we arrived too late to make our own but maybe next time, at least that gives me plenty of time to think of the ultimate flavour! Any suggestions?

The great man himself, Momofuku Ando!

The tunnel of noodles love.

Were going to need a bigger kettle!

Who'd have thought they use child labor to make noodles?

The shed where it all began.


6 comments:

  1. though I've been living in Osaka for long time ,but I realize how few things i already know. probably you'll catch up me soon.
    and i asked my huband about Momofuku Ando.
    so i knew again Momofuku was Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you still have leaf on trees.
    The colours look great.

    I think cheese and honey noodles.
    Mature cheese and honey is very nice you know or is it my strange taste buds??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tuyatuya: I'm sure I have a long way to go before I catch up with you, but I shall try my best! I didn't realise Momofuku was Chinese.

    Bodum: I can see how Cheese and honey might work in a sandwich, but noodles??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the pictures of the town from the park with the trees in front, and your writing makes it easy for me to picture you in your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James: I'm quite fond of those pictures as well, such rich colours! It was a great day out, probably one of my favourites so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, everyone knows you can click on the photos, right?

    ReplyDelete